The missionaries evangelized the present Okigwe Diocese from two wings namely: Adazi in Anambra State and Emekuku in Owerri (lmo state). While Okigwe North was evangelized from Adazi, Okigwe South was taken care of from Emekuku. Consequently, they created two Missions: Holy Cross Mission, Uturu (1912) and St. Columbas’ Mission Nsu (1917). From these two Missions, the Catholic faith sprouted and began to grow into what we have today as Okigwe Diocese. The Church in the zone continued to grow from strength to strength under the able leadership of Bishop A. G. Nwedo of Umuahia Diocese. On January 24, 1981, His Holiness Pope John Paul II carved out Okigwe zone from Umuahia Diocese and elevated it into a diocese of its own. Most Rev. Anthony Ekezia Ilonu who was appointed by the Holy Father as the pioneer bishop was consecrated on March 29, 1981. Bishop A. E. Ilonu diligently pastured this diocese for 25 years. Briefly before his retirement, the then Auxiliary Bishop of Awka, Most Rev. Solomon Amanchukwu Amatu was appointed the Coadjutor Bishop of Okigwe Diocese on July 16, 2005. Bishop S. A. Amatu took over as the diocesan Bishop of the diocese at the retirement of Bishop Ilonu on April 22, 2006 and was installed on July 1, 2006. The diocese is currently blessed with 120 parishes, 29 parishes-in-building and 9 chaplaincies. She has 504 priests, 167 major seminarians and 509 minor seminarians. Serving in the diocese are 36 Religious Men and 207 religious women of different religious congregations. The diocese is dedicated to Our Lady, Immaculate Conception.