The Parish Priest, Rev. Fr. Edward Onwueme, the parishioners and the entire Catholic faithful of St. Brigid’s Parish Akpukpa Uturu on October 29, 2023, warmly welcomed His Lordship, Most Rev. Solomon Amamchukwu Amatu, the Catholic Bishop of Okigwe Diocese on his Pastoral visit to their parish. The Bishop arrived the Parish in the company of the Diocesan Chancellor, Very Rev. Fr. Princewill Iwuanyanwu, and commenced the Holy Mass at exactly 10:00 am, flanked by the Vicar General II, Very Rev. Fr. Bartholomew Nnaemedo and the Parish Priest, Rev. Fr. Edward Onwueme.
Speaking during his homily, the bishop highlighted God’s special warning against all forms of injustice against widows and orphans. He advised the gathered congregation to ensure that all manner of injuries and marginalisation of the weak and poor of the society are completely eradicated from their community, for they should in fact, not be mentioned at all among them. He spoke particularly of the irrationality of the Osu Caste System practiced at some parts of the Igbo society. The bishop discussed some of the sources of the stigmatization as some widow’s efforts to safe both themselves and their children from being sold off into slavery during the dark era. He said, rather than give them their deserved kudos for safeguarding their children from their predators, the modern society gets up to tag them outcasts. Hence, he discouraged all manner of injustices against widows, orphans or any of the less-privileged. Worst still, the bishop spoke of the height of the irony and scandal it would convey to discover that some members of the Catholic Faith get involve in these unholy ideologies.
Other highlights of the event include:
– the Solemn Confirmation of 49 Candidates
– an Address of welcome and packages of goodwill presented to the bishop
– photoshots of the Bishop with the newly confirmed and the priests present
– warm reception of His Lordship by the Parish Council, at the end of the ceremony.
The priests who attended the ceremony include:
– Very Rev. Fr. Princewill Iwuanyanwu, Chancellor/Secretary
– Very Rev. Fr. Bartholomew Nnaemedo, Vicar General II
– Very Rev. Fr. Chibuike Uwakwe, Diocesan Finance Administrator
Very Rev. Msgr. Cletus Ehiem (Finance Consultant)
– Very Rev. Fr. Cyril Agodi (Dean, Uturu Deanery)
– Rev. Fr. Edward Onwueme (Parish Builder)
– Rev. Fr. Leonard Ewuzie,
– Rev. Fr. John Kingsley Okoye