In keeping with the ancient tradition of the Church for supervision of Pastoral progress, the Catholic Bishop of Okigwe, His Excellency, Most Rev. Solomon Amamchukwu Amatu, on October 22, 2023 graced Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Parish, Amato Obowo with his Episcopal presence. It was indeed a grand occasion as the Church building was filled to overflowing with illustrious sons and daughters of the community, who had converged to joyfully worship together in a Holy Mass presided by the Chief Shepherd of the Diocese. They were overwhelmed with so much joy to have their father in faith come to worship with them in their own very home.
Highlights of the event include:
– the solemnly celebrated Holy Mass which lasted for an Hour Forty Five minutes;
– special fatherly words from the bishop;
– solemn administration of the Sacrament of Confirmation on 136 candidates;
– appreciation and presentation of gifts to the bishop by the parish and parishioners;
– Photo shots
– warm reception of the bishop by the Parish Priest.
Since it was a day mapped out as Mission Sunday in the Universal Church, the bishop utilized his homily to take the congregation on a well detailed and masterful Missiological discourse, providing detailed explanation of the missionary life and program of the Church as at this day.
The bishop also spoke on the need to extend this work of Evangelization by way of arms giving. And while imitating the apostles who used all they had for the propagation of the gospel, we should also remember that charity begins at home, he added. Thus, we ought to start from our families to our workplaces and schools and then, support the missionary program of the Church by financial donations. This is so since we participate in the missionary life of actual missionaries, by supporting them financially and otherwise.
Finally, the bishop urged the worshipping community and all Catholics to always take interest in assisting the Church fulfill her missionary mandate, especially by way of financial support of the Universal Church on days like this, as well as prayerful support for the ministers, who have volunteered themselves for the course of Mission.
Other priests present for the ceremony include:
– Very Rev. Fr. Bartholomew Nnaemedo (Vicar General II)
– Very Rev. Fr. Princewill Iwuanyanwu (Chancellor/Secretary)
– Very Rev. Fr. Chibuike Uwakwe (Financial Administrator)
– Very Rev. Msgr. Cletus Ehiem (Consultant Financ Department)
– Rev. Fr. Francis Okoro (Parish Priest)
– Rev. Fr. Frankly Okafor (Assistant Parish Priest)
– Rev. Fr. Daniel Nnawulezi
– Rev. Fr. Benjamin Okafor